Mr. Ugly Zimbabwe Pageant returns this November in grand-style with 13 contestants in this year’s edition which begins on November 25.
The controversial pageant was introduced in the year 2010 to celebrate beauty in ugliness where the ugliest man is crowned with a cash a price.
The event which has chalked so much success over the years since its inception failed to happen last year, 2016 due to disagreements that arose during the 2015 edition with part of the crowd and contestants claiming the winner, Mison Sere was not the ugliest among the contestants and that he could only be seen as ugly when he opened his mouth.
This year’s winner would represent the country in the first ever Mr. Ugly Africa to be staged in South Africa next year.
The organiser of the annual event, Mr. David Machowa said this year’s event would be more focussed on the contestants’ character to avert the recurrence of the 2015 misunderstandings.
“We were mainly looking at appearance, confidence and zeal but this time, things have changed a bit as we will also be looking at the person’s character,” said Machowa in an interview.
“This is so because we have been having problems with the last winner Sere who has been in the media complaining that he never got any help after the competition. Yet it was him who disappeared,” he added.
“Sometimes when we get hold of him he will not come to events in which would be supposed to take part.”
The inaugural edition of the event was won by Austine Mbewe who beat 8 other contestants to win the closely-contested pageant. In 2012, William Masvinu took the crown and defended it in 2013/2014 before he was taken off the throne by Mison Sere in 2015.
By: Gabla Godwin/ Showbiz Network Ghana